It’s been forecast in the past, but didn’t eventuate, but right now I can hear, see, and smell the good rain, pouring lovely water down all over my garden! It’s falling on the driveway too, which doesn’t need it, but that’s OK, the garden is happy and that’s important!
When you have a garden, you have responsibilities to the plants you have planted, if yo want them to do the right thing for you. Too little water can mean plants die, it’s a simple fact of life (and death). Too much water can kill a plant too, of course, and I’ve been told by a horticulturist I hold in good stead, that kindness (in the form of too much water), is the main reason household plants die.
With rain, there is noting I can do to stop the garden from getting too much, but, because of where I live, there is little to worry about regarding having too much water, unless I mistreat a plant.
I recently lost a plant to having too much water, due to my lack of thought. The plant was a Calla Lily, and I loved the strong green leaves the pot plant had, and looked forward to seeing it flower. They are lovely flowers, colourful and eye-catching.
But my mistake was to put the plastic flower pot into another container, a more attractive one than the simple and plain black plastic pot the Calla Lily came in. But I didn’t think about it, at all. The lovely pink ‘overpot’ I placed the Lily in didn’t have any holes in the bottom of it, and every time the Lily was watered, a bit more water was left in the container, so that the Lily’s roots never had the chance to dry out a little, they stayed wet, always.
If you have plants please, please make sure they don’t get too much love (water)!