I have a particular fondness for geraniums and pelargoniums. I’m sure I’ve mentioned that before in this blog. I have a few different coloured ones growing in my front yard and in pots along the front veranda.
Well a friend of mine, a keen gardener and taker of cuttings arranged with me to do a swap, on a shopping trip, out my way, she’d bring some cuttings from her garden, and get some cuttings from my garden. As it turned out, yesterday was the big cutting swap day, and it was also the day my writing group was meeting at my house.
So Trish arrived, when the writing group was still at the idle chit chat stage, she sat with us for a while, then she took her little cuttings scissors out to the front yard, collecting cuttings to take home, and try to grow.
While Trish was outside, the writing group members got on with reading pieces from our homework from the previous week, and then on doing the session’s writing exercise, which was to write a piece of creative writing based the given prompt. Then Trish had to go, leaving me with a bag full of geranium/pelargonium cuttings for me to deal with once my house was all my own again!
So, that’s what I did, the cuttings left for me needed further cutting back, with excess material to be dealt with, and the actual cuttings I would be using had to be put somewhere where they could grow roots, and then beginning growing leaves and flowers.
At the moment, I’m unable to go out into my backyard, where there are pots and soil, so I opted to try generating roots on the cuttings in a container of water instead. I’d Googled this idea earlier in the day, and yes, it was something that can work, so away I went. I’m currently living with a recovering ankle, having fractured my right ankle about a month ago. It’s been interesting times, that’s for sure!
I found a glass jar, put water in it and got cutting back the provided cuttings, removing flowers and excess leaves, and shortening the stems. The bits and pieces I cut off all went into the container we have in our kitchen, for things to be composted, so away I went, snip, snip, into the jar with water, then all of the ‘unwanted’ material into the compost bin.
So, all done, and all I have to do is wait, patiently, so see if anything happens … If it does, that will be great, and I hope I’ll be mobile again by then, and can deal with potting out the new plants. My surgeon who fixed up my ankle has told me I’ll be able begin putting some weight on my right foot in around a months time. All good!
And another good thing about the afternoon was that our dog, Missy, was loose in the house and she was a good girl, not biting anyone, and not barking too much, or for too long! We don’t have many visitors, and I wasn’t sure how Missy would behave, and I was so happy she was a good girl! I’ll certainly be less nervous next time we have visitors. Dogs need to get used to new things, and having random people in Missy’s home is definitely a new thing for our dog.
The writing group is going to go on meeting once a fortnight at my place until I can drive into Gawler, where our usual weekly meeting place, the Prince Albert Hotel, is. So, at least two more meetings at my home, two more chances for Missy to meet and greet guests, and two more meetings with my friends, while my mobility is ‘challenged’ this way.